Search

1. Kapela e Varrezave të Rrmajit pipe 2. Muzeu Ateist pipe 3. Shenjtorja e Zojës së Këshillit të Mirë pipe 4. Xhamia e Fushë Çelës (Ebu-Bekr) pipe 5. Kisha e Kongregatës së Motrave Stigmatine pipe 6. Xhamia e Parrucës pipe 7. Katedralja e Shën Shtjefnit pipe 8. Manastiri i Shën Kjarës pipe 9. Kisha e Zojës Rruzare pipe 10. Teqeja e Kasëm Ali Sulltanit pipe 11. Kisha e Shën Nikollës pipe 12. Kompleksi i Jezuitëve pipe 13. Kisha e Shën Rrokut (Shirokë) pipe 14. Kisha e Shën Françeskut pipe 15. Xhamia e Plumbit

Rrmaj Cemetery Chapel

Rrmaj Cemetery Chapel, is a chapel (small church) on the outskirts of the city built by Ing. Ludovik Zojzi, in 1937. The whole space is located near the Kir River and is known as the Catholic cemetery since 1600. In 1967 these cemeteries were closed and the chapel returned to the warehouse. In the territory of these cemeteries, near the side wall on their eastern border, many opponents of the communist regime, especially clerics, were shot dead.

 

 

Atheist Museum

SAlbania ranks first in the world to have an atheist museum. On July 10, 1968, an atheist exhibition entitled "On the reactionary role of religion" was inaugurated in Shkodra, which remained open for 5 years and served as a traveling exhibition going to villages, highlands and industrial areas to make anti-religious propaganda. On June 9, 1973, the exhibition was turned into an "Atheist Museum" with anti-religious propaganda. The power of the time boasted of this Museum because it was the only one of its kind in the World. Marx's quote: "Religion is opium for the people" was placed at the entrance of the museum. On the stand of each pavilion were exhibited documents, photos, various materials aimed at highlighting the hostile and reactionary role of the clergy, especially the Catholic, as a servant of the Vatican and of imperialism. This museum also had a moving exhibition consisting of 23 stands, which was exhibited in different areas not only of Shkodra, but also of Albania.

The Atheist Museum remained open until December 13, 1990

 

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Counsel

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Counsel is a church built on the foundations of the old church dedicated to the cult of Our Lady, quite widespread in the Shkodra area. It was built in 1917 under the supervision of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1967, under the destructive spirit that included all the cult objects, except the building, the remains of the Archbishop of Shkodra, Jak Serreqi, who had been buried inside the church, were pulled out and thrown into the nearby river. In 1993, during his visit to Albania, Pope John Paul II blessed the first cornerstone and began its reconstruction.

 

 

Fushe Cela Mosque (Abu-Bakr)

Fushe Çela Mosque (Abu-Bakr), is the main mosque of Shkodra, located in the city center. The Fushë Çela Mosque, built during the Ottoman rule and destroyed during the communist dictatorship in Albania, was of great importance for Shkodra and its surroundings in previous centuries: the former mosque was one of the most beautiful mosques in Shkodra and among most visited. The new mosque was built in 1994-1995 on the site of the former Fushë Çela Mosque and was named after Abu Bakr (572-634), the first caliph after the Prophet Muhammad.

 

 

The Church of the Congregation of the Stigmatine Sisters

The Church of the Congregation of the Stigmatine Sisters is a small church designed and built by Father Gjergj Fishta in 1927, in Gjuhadol, Shkodra. Adjacent to the church was the assembly and the women's school, which provided education for all girls, regardless of religion. The church in 1967 was seized by the state and turned into a youth center, for various meetings or events. In 1968, one of the most notorious trials of the communist dictatorship against the Catholic clergy took place in this church. During that trial two death sentences were handed down and several others with multiple years of imprisonment.

We will also remember here Marie Caleta, the Catholic nun who inspired Pope Francis with her story of daring to come out against the communist regime and practicing her faith in secret even during the dictatorship. Under dictator Enver Hoxha, whose government declared all religions illegal in its attempt to create a completely atheist state, she risked her life by baptizing children and staying close to the sick and those on their deathbeds. "Sister Mary baptized the children with river water, secretly kept the bread to give to the priests to use, and distributed the Gospel to all. She risked her life in the most difficult years of Enver Hoxha's communist regime. "The most beautiful moment for him was 1991 when the churches reopened. "She had been waiting for this moment for a long time."

 

Parruca Mosque

It is a mosque in the historical neighborhood Parrucë, Shkodra. The new mosque was built in 1937, and was one of the most important cultural monuments of Shkodra. It was one of the most beautiful mosques in Albania. Many ornaments and interior decorations were added to this building. Some Italian masters also helped to realize them, who painted the interior of the mosque, while the calligrapher Shefqet Kraja volunteered for the artistic part of the minarets. It was destroyed by the end of 1967 as a result of the communist anti-religious campaign. The reconstruction works were completed in 2006, while the inauguration took place in 2007.

 

St. Stephen's Cathedral - Church

St. Stephen's Cathedral - Church built in the years 1858-1865. Together with the Archdiocese Palace they were seized by the communist state in 1967. The church was transformed into a sports hall, for hand games, event hall or meeting hall, while the palace over the years served as a house for party officers, then as a hotel to accommodate athletes. March 7, 1991 celebrates the first Mass with the presence of Mother Teresa and thousands of believers. On that day the church and all the surrounding territory are returned to the Catholic community.

 

 

Monastery of St. Ciara

It is a monastery in which the Clarissa Sisters live. In this building, which has been the property of the Franciscan Province since 1930 was located the Seraphic College. The building was seized by the state in 1946 and turned into the Department of Internal Affairs, a body subordinate to the Ministry of Interior. It was the most terrible place for the city and the citizens of Shkodra, as in the last part of the territory were built the detention cells, known in the popular language as "dungeons". Political opponents, described as such by the communist dictatorial regime were locked in these cells, where physical and psychological torture was used all the time. After 1998, the property was returned to the Franciscan Province and since 2014 in a part of it has been opened to the public the Place of Testimony and Remembrance, the first memorial museum in Albania, dedicated to the historical memory of our country.

 

Church of Our Lady of the Rosary

Church built in 1934 in the neighborhood of Arra e Madhe, together with the Assembly are two important buildings of the Franciscan Province. During the period of the communist regime, the assembly was turned into a dormitory, while the church was in a salt depot in the service of the Silk Factory. The large wooden church altar, skillfully crafted in Austria, was used by communist propaganda to shoot offensive films and documentaries against the clergy. After 1991 the church returned to the Catholic community.

 

 

Tekke of Kasëm Ali Sultan


Object of worship of the Halveti-Nakshibendi order, on the right side at the entrance of the city of Shkodra, at the end of the new Bahçallek bridge.

 

 

 

 

Church of St. Nicholas

Church designed and built by Don Ndre Mjeda and after his death by Father Gjergj Fishta, who was also the official architect of the Archdiocese of Shkodra. Kole Idromeno was taken directly for the realization of the works. The church preserved the classical style of the Italian Renaissance, intertwined with elements of Hellenic architecture. In 1967 the church closes and returns for a short period to the sports gym. It is then completely destroyed brutally, as army tanks have been used to destroy it. The new church of St. Nicholas was rebuilt and inaugurated in 2008.

 

 

Jesuit Complex

This is a territory with some buildings alienated or destroyed by the state during the communist dictatorship. The Jesuits settled in Shkodra in the second half of the century. XIX, where over the years they built and opened the Saverian College, the Papal Seminary, the Church of St. Joseph, the Theater, the Museum, the Library, Didactic Laboratories, the Astronomical Observatory and the Orphanage. The whole complex was seized in 1946, when the seminary building was turned into a dormitory called "Safet Spahia", the college building at the school named "January 11", while the other buildings were completely destroyed. After 1990, the property was returned to the Jesuits, where the Seminary continues to function, while the school has been rebuilt and bears the name of the great Jesuit Father Peter Meshkalla.

Neither the Church of St. Rock and St. Francis escaped the clutches of the dictatorship, undergoing a series of transformations and humiliations.

St. Rrok Church (Shiroka)

Church designed and built by master and architect Kole Idromeno, who completed the works in 1906. In 1967 the church was closed and turned into a cultural center and warehouse. The building was divided into 2 floors. On the first floor, 8 rooms were created, which served as centers for the collection of sage, while the second floor served as a large lounge for party gatherings or various parties. After the fall of communism, the church returned to the Catholic community.

 

 

 

 

 

St. Franciscan Church


It is a church built at the beginning of the XX century, where together with the assembly form the center of the Albanian Franciscan Province. The Franciscan Assembly was seized by the state in 1946 and served for a period of time as a prison for opponents of the regime, then over the years part of it also as a school. In it was located the library, one of the richest in the country, which was completely destroyed. In 1967, the church was closed, which was transformed into the "Punëtori" Cinema and served as such until 1991. In 91 ', the entire complex was returned to the Franciscans, counting countless damages.

 

Lead Mosque

In the foundations of the most monstrous ruins of communist atheism, in the city of traditions both cultural, civic and religious, a group of citizens, most of them young, took the bold initiative to open the Lead Mosque in Shkodra, to pray on Friday, to renew religion, to regain the right to freely exercise religious belief. An important role in this activity was played by Imam Hafiz Sabri Koçi - imprisoned for 20 years, until 1986, because of his religious beliefs. This activity, which was attended by about 50 thousand people from Shkodra and the surrounding villages, followed the mass of a few days ago, of the Catholic believers in Shkodra, led by Dom Simon Jubani, co-sufferer in prison with Imam Hafiz Sabri Koçi.

 

 
Sherbime dhe kontakte
Adresa

Rruga 13 Dhjetori, Nr. 1, Shkodër, Shqipëri
Mobile: +355 22 400117
e-mail: info@shkodra.gov.al

Copyright 2014 - © Bashkia e Shkodrës